Cacio e Pepe is one of our most simple yet delicious recipes to date. But like any Italian dish, the focus lies on great, fresh ingredients and flavorful simplicity.
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons of freshly ground coarse black pepper
- ½ pound of freshly ground Pecorino Romano cheese
- 6 ounces of extra virgin olive oil
- Follow the instructions on package for cooking spaghetti. I like to cook the spaghetti 30-45 seconds less then instructed to insure the spaghetti is al dente. Cooking the spaghetti properly and retaining some of the pasta water is the key to making great Cacio e Pepe.
- Once spaghetti is cooked drain spaghetti partially and save two cups of pasta water if needed.
- In a 16 inch sauté at medium heat add olive oil and toss in partially drained spaghetti.
- Now add grated Pecorino Romano cheese and coarse ground black pepper. Toss until spaghetti is covered with sauce.
- With a pair of tongs portion the pasta in a deeper round bowl, finish each bowl of Cacio e Pepe with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and shaved Pecorino Romano cheese and serve immediately.