This week, Vic brings you a fresh recipe for frutti di Mare, which translates roughly to seafood or “fruit of the sea.” Buon Appetito!
Linguine Frutti di Mare Recipe
- 12 large peeled cleaned shrimp (u-8)
- 12 littleneck or cockle clams (cleaned but not opened)
- 12 black shell mussels (cleaned but not open)
- 1 pound of linguine
- 1 quart pomodoro sauce (recipe page 1)
- 8 medium cloves of peeled garlic (crushed)
- 4 ounces Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon of hot red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place 16-18 inch sauté pan on the stove at medium heat add 3 ounces of extra virgin olive oil and crushed garlic.
- Sauté garlic until golden brown, do not burn or over cook garlic it will ruin the recipe.
- Add all of the pomodoro sauce, chili flakes and the clams to garlic and olive oil mixture .
- Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes, and then add shrimp and mussels.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until clams and mussels open approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the parsley, salt and freshly ground pepper to the sauté pan.
- Drain the pasta always saving a cup or two of the pasta water.
- Put the linguine into the sauté pan with the Frutti di Mare mixture toss a few times until linguine is fully coated. If sauce and linguine seem too thick use a little pasta water at a time to thin it down.
- Portion pasta into four to six bowls with tongs portion the seafood on top of each swirl of linguine, drizzling the remaining sauce over each bowl. Finish with extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately.