This week, Vic brings you a fresh, healthy, and delicious recipe using short cut pasta and lentils. Try this delicious and different recipe at home!
- 1 pound of dry lentils (Castelluccio lentils are preferred)
- 1 large peeled carrot chopped fine
- 3 cleaned celery stalks chopped fine
- 1 medium white onion chopped fine
- 1 cup of white wine
- 4 ounces freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 8 ounces chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 4 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove lentils from package and soak in room temperature water for 12 hours; covered in plastic wrap on the kitchen counter is a perfect place.
- After 12 hours drain lentils and rinse them with room temperature water.
- In a 14-16 inch sauté pan sauté chopped onion, carrots and celery (they should all be cut approximately the same size) with 3 ounces extra virgin olive oil at medium heat.
- Continue to sauté mixture until onions are translucent and carrots and celery start to get soft approximately 7 minutes.
- Add the lentils and 1 cup of white wine cook at medium heat until lentils are al dente, to taste. You may need to use a little chicken stock in the mixture if the wine doesn’t provide enough liquid to completely cook lentils.
- Stir frequently and add stock as needed until cooked.
- Now add the butter, remaining olive oil and Parmigiano Reggiano to the lentil mixture and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the butter and cheese integrate into the lentil mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remember the cheese provides a salty component do not go over board with the salt.
- Strain rigatoni and add to sauté pan and toss several times until rigatoni is coated with lentils.
- Spoon into four to six bowls drizzle with olive and freshly grated Parmigiano- Reggiano.