BISCOTTI DI PRATO – Show 307
- 1 kilo (2.2 Lbs) cake flour
- 600gr (2⅔ cup) sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 whole eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate or 1 and ½teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 200 gr (8 oz) melted butter
- 200 gr (8 oz) whole toasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 eggs yolks to brush over the biscotti.
- Heat the oven 350 f
- Pour the flour in a mound on a work surface. Makes a well in the center and place the sugar, eggs and yolks, baking powder, salt in the well.
- Add the melted butter and gradually work the flour into the ingredients in the well. Mix with your hands until smooth.
- Knead the almonds and orange peel into the dough thoroughly and keep kneeding, sprinkling with additional flour if needed, 4 to 5 minutes in all. Do not work too much.
- Butter and flour 2 baking sheets that are at least 15 inches long.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Roll each piece of the dough on a floured surface into a 2- to 2½ inch wide flat log and place the logs at least 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Beat the 2 eggs yolks and brush over the dough logs
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 325 F.
- Cut the logs diagonally into ¾ to 1 inch slices and lay them on the sheets.
- Return to the oven for another 5 minutes and then cool on racks